Monday 4 February 2013

Comedy of Errors, The Musical


I've visited Theatre at the Mill on a few occasions, but despite my best intentions have never made it out to the Newtownabbey venue to see a show.  I've decided my first show will be Comedy of Errors for various reasons.


  • The story sounds brilliant.  It's a Shakespeare play I didn't study in school and I don't know it at all, but the witty description and excellent production shots caught my attention.  The cheeky grins and surprised expressions on the actors faces really highlight the farcical elements of the play.
  • It's a brand new musical version! I'm thinking Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet... 
  • It's set in Belfast in the 1920's.  Well if ever there was a way to get me to go to something, it would be to include some local history. A quick look at the Comedy of Errors microsite reveals set images of the 140 year old Jaffe fountain, currently situated outside Victoria Square. 
  • Setting the musical in the roaring twenties means fabulous costumes.  The costume drawings are really stunning and I can't wait to see them for real.
  • Live 1920's Music.  (Note to self: remember not to dance in public)
  • The cast!  Some of the best actors/ singers working in NI today all on one stage.  Richard Clements, Drew Dillon, Paul Boyd (the other one...), Chris Robinson, Orla Gormley, Sarah Lyle, David Marken and Orla Mullen. Seriously have you heard these guys sing?  Click here to hear Drew Dillon and click here to listen to Richard Clements. *may induce tears

The show runs from 19th February - 2nd March.  Click here to find out more on Theatre at the Mill's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment